Muskogee Central High Class of 1967

Still "Doin' It" after all these years (breathing)

I saw the Disney movie "The Game Plan" for the first time a few months ago, and just loved it! I watch it every time it comes on TV now.

The movie stars DeWayne "the Rock" Johnson. who, I think, does an excellent job of acting, assisted by a fabulous cast of other actors. I just can't say enough about how well this movie was put together.

My only complaint is that the ballet scenes were not longer. There's just something about watching a ballerina leaping high in the air, stretched to the max, the picture of controlled power, that just sends thrills up and down my spine! Don't ask me why because I don't know.

In some scenes, DeWayne Johnson reminds me a lot of President Obama, like when the doorman is trying to suppress a laugh and Johnson asks him "what's wrong", and the doorman says he has a problem with his throat, and Johnson says "Get it fixed!". He sounds just like Obama!

Anyway, I highly recommend the movie. I've watched it a number of times and haven't gotten tired of it yet.

I especially like the little girl who plays Johnson's long, lost daughter, and the ballet teacher, who teaches Johnson that if ballet were easy they would call it football.

TA

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tom - Good morning! I read your comment on "The Game Plan" and on your recommendation - I am going to watch it. I love a good movie. I saw one recently that I did not see in the theatre and really enjoyed it. I will recommend it to you - if you have not already seen it - "Autumn Rush" . Kerri Russell, who I have followed since the beginning of her acting career is in it and Robin Williams plays a strange little guy in the movies also. I thought it was such a heart warming and whimsical story. Let me know what you think about it. Melody
Tom - Correction on my suggested movie! I just realized I gave you the wrong movie title - opps! - Sr. moment I guess, or I am really dreaming of Fall (Autumn) weather! The name of the movie should be "August Rush". Melody
"August Rush" is a new one to me. I'll look for it.

Did you see any whales on your recent vacation? Icebergs? Did anyone fall overboard?

TA
Tom - We saw amazing scenery and wildlife in Alaska! I learned that we would only see icebergs in the Arctic but we would see several glaciers. The glaciers were HUGE wedged in between the mountains falling down all the way into the ocean. They were this brilliant blue- turquoise color shimmering thru. Sometimes big chunks fall off into the water and make these explosive sounds and splashes! There were waterfalls making way thru in places.

I had seen orcas in the San Juan Islands before - and saw many more on the trip. But we did go out on a private whale watching boat - a nice Dad and daughter - operation. They were also professional photographers and had captured incredible wildlife pictures. We were in an area completely surrounded by humpback whales swimming . Mother and baby wales - flipping up into the ocean and curling their tails - they were gigantic size - the ones you always imagined Jonah to have been swallowed by. Our guide said we were fortunate to have seen so many on our trip.

We saw bald eagles all over the place. You could spot them up in the trees because of their snow-white heads. They even nest in the little towns in trees with their babies.

We saw alot of moose, some mother and baby bears, caribou, porcupines, the Alaska state bird, which makes a cool sound and are beautiful birds, salmon swimming up stream, and I think that was about it other than the usual little critters that run around in the woods.

Well, you asked! It was our first cruise - probably won't do any others. I would rather stay where I travel and experience the places, food and local people. But I have to say, it was interesting being out in the middle of nowhere on a floating city. We meant some friends from Portland, Oregon so we did have alot of fun together.

I have had company here since we came back so I have not had a chance to think about Alaska yet. My daughter Sarah and her husband picked us up when we came in and stayed a few days, my son Andrew and his wife stopped by from their vacation and stayed a few days with us, and my oldest son, Bryan and his wife and our two grand daughters Lainey, 3 and Claire , 21 months came in on Friday and left on Monday. Kids are such a kick to be around - you never know what they are going to do or say - so there was alot of giggling and laughing going on.
We spend alot of time with our children - they actually like us - which is one of the rewards you reap after raising them.

I just came in from walking this morning and read my emails. The weather has been cooler lately which is great. I hope we can be done with the triple digit stuff this year. I have heard Oklahoma has had a milder and rainey summer. We need the rain here - our lakes are at an all time low. I am hoping we will have a rainey Fall.

Well, I have written you a novel! I am heading for the back porch to have my coffee. Have a great Thursday, already. Melody
I tried to format these messages and replies to look more like a conversation but I'm not sure how this website software is going to handle my formating, so if all you see is garbage, it's because the website software turned it into garbage.

Here goes nothing.

>Reply by Melody Ann Jones Richardson
>Tom - We saw amazing scenery and wildlife in Alaska! I learned that we would only see icebergs in the Arctic

Well, I guess in my mind I was thinking that Alaska *was* in the Arctic but it is really south of the Arctic, for the most part. I should have realized this by the fact that those Alaska fishing programs I watch on TV sometimes never mention having to watch out for icebergs while they are out at sea. The only time I was ever in Alaska was when I was heading to SouthVietnam. We stopped over at Fairbanks and I remember it was chilly. It was in May and the temperature was about 52 degrees. It seemed like we flew for hours over nothing but wilderness below before landing at Fairbanks. No roads, no towns, no nothing. My kind of country!

>but we would see several glaciers. The glaciers were HUGE wedged in between the mountains falling down all the >way into the ocean. They were this brilliant blue- turquoise color shimmering thru. Sometimes big chunks fall off >into the water and make these explosive sounds and splashes! There were waterfalls making way thru in places.

That's something I would really like to see. You see these kinds of sights on TV and they are spectacular, but they have to be better when seen and experienced in person. Where's my empty water bottle?

>I had seen orcas in the San Juan Islands before - and saw many more on the trip. But we did go out on a private >whale watching boat - a nice Dad and daughter - operation.

Yes, I imagine Alaska is the perfect place for small businesses like that. The final frontier. Well, maybe not the *final* frontier, but close enough for government work.

>They were also professional photographers and had captured incredible wildlife pictures. We were in an area >completely surrounded by humpback whales swimming . Mother and baby whales - flipping up into the ocean >and curling their tails - they were gigantic size - the ones you always imagined Jonah to have been swallowed by. >Our guide said we were fortunate to have seen so many on our trip.

That would be a fantastic sight! I wonder if the whales show up because they know the boat is coming and they like to spend time watching the humans? The closest I ever came to something like that was laying on an air mattress in lake Tenkiller when I was about 12 years old and suddenly being surrounded by hundred of gar fish surfacing all around me. It was more of a scary situation than fascinating, but I imagine being surrounded by a lot of whales might cause a person to feel a little alarm, too. As the man said: "We need a bigger boat!".

>We saw bald eagles all over the place. You could spot them up in the trees because of their snow-white heads. >They even nest in the little towns in trees with their babies.

>We saw alot of moose, some mother and baby bears, caribou, porcupines, the Alaska state bird, which makes a >cool sound and are beautiful birds, salmon swimming up stream, and I think that was about it other than the >usual little critters that run around in the woods.

It sounds like you spent a lot of the time on land. What did you do, sail a little and then put into a port for a day or two?

>Well, you asked!

Yes, I did. And even though you are a shy, retiring person you gave a great description. Just kidding, of course. About the "shy, retiring", I mean, not the great description.

> It was our first cruise - probably won't do any others. I would rather stay where I travel and experience the >places, food and local people. But I have to say, it was interesting being out in the middle of nowhere on a >floating city. We met some friends from Portland, Oregon so we did have alot of fun together.

Yeah, I would be interested in being out in the middle of nowhere on a large ship. I never had the opportunity to do any deep-water sailing, but I always wanted to. I came *this* close to joining the U.S. Navy but their tour was one year longer than the Army required. I did go sailing once on lake Tenkiller with Mike Dennehy. He had a sailboat and we were out in the middle of the lake at about 4pm and Dennehy decided to stand up next to the mast (why won't be discussed at this time) and he ended up overbalancing the boat and turned it upside down. He and I were laughing so hard we almost drowned. Dennehy swam underwater and managed to get the boat back upright, but although the boat was floating it was completely filled with water. The only thing you could see above water was the mast sticking up in the air. Well, wouldn't you know it, everyone who had been on the lake a little earlier had disappeared, so there we sat in a flooded sailboat with the sun going down and no help in sight. Finally, about 20 minutes later, probably the last boat on the lake spotted us and came over and towed us into the dock.

>I have had company here since we came back so I have not had a chance to think about Alaska yet. My daughter >Sarah and her husband picked us up when we came in and stayed a few days, my son Andrew and his wife >stopped by from their vacation and stayed a few days with us, and my oldest son, Bryan and his wife and our two >grand daughters Lainey, 3 and Claire , 21 months came in on Friday and left on Monday. Kids are such a kick to >be around - you never know what they are going to do or say - so there was alot of giggling and laughing going on.

Kids are great! I have a grand niece named Mattie who will turn 3 later this month.

>We spend alot of time with our children - they actually like us - which is one of the rewards you reap after raising >them.

Priceless!

>I just came in from walking this morning and read my emails. The weather has been cooler lately which is great. >I hope we can be done with the triple digit stuff this year. I have heard Oklahoma has had a milder and rainey >summer. We need the rain here - our lakes are at an all time low. I am hoping we will have a rainey Fall.

Well, it was getting a little dry around here but the last week or so we have had rain off-and-on about every day and it has definitely cooled off. We're in the mid-80's during the day and down to the mid-60's at night. I noticed the last time I looked that Austin was still up in the mid-90's.

>Well, I have written you a novel! I am heading for the back porch to have my coffee. Have a great Thursday, >already. Melody

You, too, Melody. And from the sound of things, you will.

TA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Mike Simpson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service